Saturday, November 26, 2011

De-wrinkle clothes in a pinch without an iron

I just wanted to share a quick tip with those of you traveling during the holidays or for those of you (like me) who are at home but just too lazy to use an iron. hahaha
{Science & Society Picture Library}

Did you know that you can easily de-wrinkle most clothing with a spray bottle and a little water?

It's true. 1950's housewives would be outraged, but I will show you how to de-wrinkle clothes without an iron. gasp!

All you need is a wrinkled shirt, a misting spray bottle and water.




Ok, here's how it's done.

This is a knit shirt (t-shirt material) but I also use this iron-free de-wrinkling method on cotton. I like to hang my shirts on a shower curtain rod with a hanger that swivels, for easy maneuvering.


Fill your spray bottle with water. Set it for misting (not streaming). I like to have a small size spray bottle so I can bring it with me in my suitcase.


 "Mist" the water all over your shirt.


Shake the shirt a little to help ease out the wrinkles, but not too much (you don't want it to stretch out). (How's that for an action shot?)



Leave hanging to dry. I usually hang my shirt out the night before so it has plenty of time to dry. No one likes wearing a damp shirt.


And see how nice and smooth it comes out? And not an iron in sight.

I didn't make this up, Photoshop it or swap the shirt out for its twin. It really works.





In addition to t-shirts, this easy de-wrinkling technique also works on sturdier cotton like button up shirts or khakis. Here's a little video to see my de-wrinkling skills in action!





Never miss a post! Subscribe to ShannonSews
Like on facebook.com/SSorensenDesigns
Follow @ShannonSews1 on Twitter
Subscribe to youtube.com/ShannonSews

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that amazing! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shannon- this looks even BETTER than ironing. Thanks for the tip- in totally the kind that has to believe with my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! wouldn't have thought of that! thanks! (not that i travel enough to need it, but i do NOT like to iron so this will for sure come in handy!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. You can also hang them in the bathroom when someone's taking a shower and usually the steam will take out wrinkles. Just let them hang there and then dry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool, makes perfect sense, but never thought of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never knew this method of "dewrinkling" before. I will have to try it!
    Linda
    mysewwhatblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This method's helped me dozens of times when I'm just lazy and don't want to iron, or am traveling, but lots of times I am just lazy. :)

      Delete
  8. Hi! I'm Christina, a writer for Buzzfeed, and I'd love to use a photo from the above for a post on amazing clothing hacks.

    Please let me know if this is possible, and if so, how you'd like to be credited.

    Thank you!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Thanks so much for your comments! ♥

Blogging tips